As your trusted partner for wireless data communication technology, USAT Corp. has important information related to cellular modems/gateways/routers to share.
A news summary is directly below. More detailed news digests follow the summary. Bookmark www.usatcorp.com/news to follow cellular modem news & notices as they happen.
*SIERRA WIRELESS AIRLINK–RECOMMENDATION TO UPDATE TO ALEOS 4.4.2 FOR DEVICE LEVEL SECURITY
*CRADLEPOINT–RECOMMENDATION TO UPDATE TO FIRMWARE FOR DEVICE STABILITY**NEW PRODUCT AER3100**FIREWALL CONFIGURATION CHANGE NOTICE FOR ECM USERS
*DIGI–SPECIAL PROMOTION–SUB-$340 ETHERNET GATEWAY FOR NEW DIGI CUSTOMERS–WR11 FOR DIGITAL SIGNAGE/KIOSK APPLICATIONS
*NEW CELL MODEMS CERTIFIED FOR THE US CELLULAR NETWORK
SIERRA WIRELESS AIRLINK NEWS–FIRMWARE 4.4.2
- ADVISORY FOR USERS OF GX/ES/LS PRODUCT LINES:
As increasing device layer security is our imperative, USAT Corp. is strongly suggesting that all clientele using GX, ES, or LS gateways that are running firmware ALEOS firmware 4.3.4 or earlier to update their devices to the latest firmware 4.4.2–for the reasons summarized below. If your devices are running 4.3.5 (released on Feb. 7, 2014) or later this move is less critical, although still recommended as a maintenance priority. Read the full text of the Sierra Wireless Technical Bulletin here. This Bulletin gives instructions on how to update devices to the current firmware from older firmware. If you are running behind on firmware updates, gain access to AirLink Management System for free for 30 days and take advantage of that time period to update your AirLink devices to the latest firmware ALEOS 4.4.2.
- REASON FOR ADVISORY TO UPDATE TO ALEOS 4.4.2:
There is a known issue that Sierra Wireless GX, ES, and LS gateways running ALEOS contain hard-coded accounts with root privileges. These accounts are enabled by default for debug purposes and accessible remotely by telnet or SSH in systems using ALEOS 4.3.4 or earlier via standard password.
From ALEOS 4.3.5 onward, these accounts can only be accessed locally, via SSH, by a user with physical access to the gateway or the attached local network. An unauthorized user with knowledge of the passwords for these accounts may be able to take control of the gateway or gain access to the attached local network.
CRADLEPOINT–FIRMWARE UPGRADE RECOMMENDED FOR GENERAL MAINTENANCE AND DEVICE STABILITY
- New modem firmware (05.05.58.0x) has been posted by CradlePoint for all LPE and LP3 modems. CradlePoint highly recommends that all users update firmware on affected devices to ensure continued long-term operation. Log into the CradlePoint Connect at https://cradlepoint.com/firmware to access the new firmware update. Read the entire notice here.
CRADLEPOINT–NEW PRODUCT RELEASE–AER3100 EDGE ROUTER–COMPETES WITH CISCO
- Administrators looking to manage connectivity in remote branch offices have a new 4G router to consider. The Cradlepoint AER3100 is an all-in-one networking solution that combines routing, multi-WAN support (wired + 4G wireless), dual modems, advanced security (UTM), private network support, and high performance WiFi in a platform that can be deployed, managed, and optimized via the cloud.
CRADLEPOINT–NOTICE–CHANGE TO ECM PORTAL COMMUNICATIONS MAY REQUIRE PORT CONFIGURATION IN YOUR FIREWALL
- In September 2015, CradlePoint will change the protocol used for firmware updates via ECM from HTTP to HTTPS. The change in this protocol may require a change in port configuration on device firewalls. To learn if your devices are affected, please click here.
DIGI–SPECIAL PROMOTION–SUB-$340 ETHERNET GATEWAY
- For NEW Digi clients, Digi is extending a special introductory price for the Digi Transport WR11 that is designed for use in POS/Kiosk/Retail applications. For a Transport product, with advanced functionality and with a 5 year standard warranty, a sub-$340 price is very attractive. Both 3G and 4G devices are available at this price point. Please respond to this email with any inquiries about elibility for this program and this WR11 discount.
NETWORK CERTIFICATION NEWS FROM US CELLULAR AND VZW
- The carrier US Cellular has certified the Sierra Wireless GX450 & ES450 on the US Cellular Network.
- The carrier Verizon Wireless has certified the CalAmp 5530 4G LTE router for the VZW Network.